Sunday, April 6, 2008

An Old Letter


Yesterday my sister brought me a letter. Friends of hers recently purchased a home in the country and the people who used to own it have long since passed away and their children did not want any of their belongings so they are all still in the house. My sister found a letter she knew I would want since it was dated February 20 1945. I love all things old so I was quite pleased.
When I read it I was drawn into another time and could almost see the lady who wrote it. I thought I might share some of it with you.....

Dear Louise,

Yes it is me writing believe it or not. I sure hope you will forgive me Louise for not writing long ago, but I write to Milton every night you know and I just can't seem to write to anyone else.

I had two letters form Milt yesterday the 5th and 7th of Feb. he wrote them. He is in Holland you know and right in the thick of things. He is with the Lincoln and Welland Reg. mostly boys from home so he was pleased with that. They sure did shove him around though didn't they? I just feel sick all the time, from worry, ever since he got overseas and in the Infantry of all things. All we can do now is keep letters and boxes going and pray for his safe return.

Donna talks about him all the time, she looks at his picture and says poor Daddy. I like him, I'm his sweetheart. She tells everybody, Daddy went overseas on the big boat to Holland. She doesn't forget him one minute. You sure would get a big kick out of her Louise, she talks a blue streak and as plain as you and I. She is so much like her Dad, her actions and ways. She is awfully good and does she ever love to go to Grandma and Grandpas.

(She talks about some packages and cartons of cigarettes that were sent over and how he was the only one to receive anything since they left Belgium.)

She goes on....
He said they were back in a house 7 of them having rest. I guess they are in the trenches for a certain period of time and then they are relieved to and have a rest for a few hours. He said there are lots of Buzz bombs going over their heads so far. He said "keep your chin up hon and I'll keep my head down." He also said he has said his prayers more than once and has relived his life over and over. What he and the rest are going through we can only half imagine. Pray for him Louise, he has just got to come back to us, he is such a good fellow and has so much to live for.

Louise Dad_____ is home sick in bed. The doctor was up and said not much can be done but lots of bed rest for him and a special diet, whatever you do, don't write and tell Milton, as we don't want him to worry or have anything on his mind, he is in great danger over there and needs to be right on his toes every minute. I don't ever tell him now when anyone isn't too well, we are always fine to him.

Guess I'll close now and hit the hay. Mite sooner than I did eh? Hope you are all fine.

Love to all,
Donna and Ruth.

I was completely pulled into the letter imagining what this unknown lady was like, what she looked like, how hard her life must have been knowing her husband was overseas in a war, what her little girl was like, what her husband was like, what happened to him and their little family. Then I read a little newspaper clipping that was with the letter. I cried.

Pte. Milton _____________, 27 of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, has been killed in the recent fighting in Germany, according to official information just received by his wife Mrs. Ruth ___________ ___ __________ ave. The telegram from the Director of records, Ottawa, stated that he had died on March 9th as the result of wounds received in action.

It goes on to tell about his life and church involvement and family. So very sad.

I just found another letter today in that house which we just found out belonged to Milton's sister and her husband. I will share that one tomorrow.

I know it seems silly to be so caught up in lives lived long ago by people I didn't even know. But it is like I was being told what it was like in those war years as it happened by someone who was living it. I can't really explain the feeling.

I do know I will be hugging my hubby a little tighter and appreciating him a little more because he is here with me and I don't have to know what it is like to go through what Ruth and so many other women have had to experience.

The picture above was taken of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment in Sonsbeck Germany two days before Milton was killed.


I left the last names and addresses out of this post because I didn't think it was necessary to share that.


Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: