Wednesday, April 9, 2008

An Old Letter - Part Five


My sister brought me a box of things they found in the house yesterday, inside was a newspaper clipping about Milton's Memorial Service. It says his wife Ruth received a letter the day after she was notified of his death, which he wrote March 5th included in it was this poem by an anonymous writer.....

A Soldier - His Prayer

Stay with me, God. The night is dark,
The night is cold; my little spark
Of courage dies. The night is long.
Be with me, God, and make me strong.

I love a game. I love a fight.
I hate the dark; I love the light.
I love my child; I love my wife.
I am no coward. I love my life.

I knew that death was but a door,
I knew what we were fighting for;
Peace for the kids, our brothers freed,
A kinder world, a cleaner breed.

Help me, Oh God, when death is near,
To mock the haggard face of fear,
That when I fall, if I must,
My soul may triumph in the dust.

Blessings,
Liisa

I found a picture of Milton in a newspaper clipping. My sister is going to scan it for me and I will post it as soon as I receive it.

No comments: