Monday, April 14, 2008

A Drive in the Country



Yesterday after church my very sweet hubby took me for a beautiful drive in the country. It was so much fun exploring back roads and just chatting. Things are starting to turn green and signs of spring are everywhere at long last. Calving season is in full swing as well and the little ones are so sweet.

We stopped by a friend's farm and picked some some chickens (frozen not alive ~smile~) and some beef. It is so nice to know where your meat comes from and that it comes from healthy well cared for animals. He was telling us that coyotes are becoming a real hazard to the cattle in the past couple of years and that he just picked up a donkey to guard them. I had no idea that donkeys were used for that purpose. He said they act as guard dogs and if there is a donkey with the herd coyotes don't bother them. I always kind of thought they were mostly just to look at! Our friend said that it was so bad that he looked out his window and saw a cow ready to birth and there 30 feet away was a coyote just waiting for the calf to drop. Nervy!

We also took time to visit a really cute little town in that area. It is just so pretty there! There are quite a few Mennonite families just north of here as well and it is so nice to drive by their well kept farms. I often think how much nicer life would be sometimes without all the "conveniences" we have but then I appreciate the ability to flick a switch and have light, and the amount of information at my finger tips via the Internet - though the Internet can be more of a curse than a blessing at times.

Anyway it was just a beautiful day spent with my sweetheart and I cherished every moment.

I hope you enjoyed your weekend too!

Blessings,
Liisa

Photo above by LCM Photos.

No comments: