Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Last of the Old Letters


Last night we went back out to visit the house in the country in one last attempt to find more letters, pictures etc. before it is all thrown out. We found two more letters, these are from Milton when he was overseas! I also met Milton's grand nephew. He said he didn't know much about his family history. He suggested that I talk to his mother who is really into all the family history so that is being set up! I am quite excited as I have so many questions I would like answered. It's a bit like watching a movie but only catching bits and pieces of it so I am looking forward to having the blanks filled in!

Thursday Dec. 21/44

Hi Louisa,

I'm fine as usual hoping this finds you all the same. I haven't as yet received your parcels. I had one from Ruth. Ruth's mother, Morrison St. Church and the City of _______________.

It's pretty grim here and may be here for Christmas. I don't know for sure we finish training tomorrow. Your parcels should catch up to me when I get overseas from here. We may go to Belgium, France, Italy even to Burma. The food is still junk but picked up a little or else we are getting used to it.

The weather is foggy, damp and chilly. The grass is still green and have plenty of mud and rain. The ground doesn't freeze it's not cold enough for that. Heavy white frosts but the farmers still have gardens in yet. They have several crops a year. They are taking up potatoes just now.

Glad to hear you had good crops this year. I have been pretty busy so only write when I can get the chance. It's too bad about Carmen's wife hope she holds out till after Christmas poor thing. Hope you have had a white Christmas as I hear you are getting plenty of snow. That is if it lasts that long.

I have had a few letters and your cards also the folder of ________ from you. My letters have been coming quite regular nearly every day. I had six from Ruth Monday but none since. Donna is well again but expect Ruth to have an operation n her nose after Christmas is over with.

I spent the past weekend at London. We had ideal weather saw a great deal. It sure was worth our while. We saw historic sites and old buildings that have stood for a couple of thousand years. They were only the worse for the weather otherwise in marvelous condition. So they must have had marvelous architects in the early days.

We stayed at the Toe- H club next door to the famous Scotland yard opposite the Victoria Bridge which crosses the Thames River. Also across from Big Ben on the Parliament buildings known as the House of Commons.

We went to church in Westminster Abbey. Saw the tomb of the unknown soldier. Had a mass at the Westminster Cathedral I even lit a candle. It was the most beautiful church - Catholic- I was ever in. It was in Gold and marble the chapel containing the Mother and Child. The Abbey was High English it was mostly decorated with statues and busts of famous people. Such as Rudyard Kipling, Charles Dickens also of the Kings and Queens and men of History. Even the late George the fifth is buried there. It was damp, dreary and dismal no heat and all in stone and poorly lighted.

We visited Buckingham Palace. Hyde Park, the Marble Arch, Trafalgar Square. Berkeley Square. We saw the home of Winston Churchill at Downing st. We visited the clubs Y.M.C.A. Beaver Club Queensberry, Ontario clubs.

We ate at the Stage Door Canteen had real butter, ice cream and coca-cola. My first in England so it was a treat. We saw where London had been bombed but not so bad as you would expect. We saw a flying bomb on display. It landed and hadn't exploded so they had it for the public to see, 2,000 lbs. of explosive. They appear like comets or falling stars in the sky and make quite a bang when they hit.

Well not much news, glad Len likes school and won a prize for dressing up on halloween. I must go now as its getting late will write when I get the chance. So in the meantime the best of health, good luck and prosperity. I may be over here somewhere but will be sharing my thought with you all.

As always,
Skill.

This next letter was sent Armed Forces Air Letter which folds up to make the envelope. Unfortunately a couple of bits are missing as someone along the way tore of the corner to get the stamp. So here it is...I'll just skip over the section with parts missing.

Jan. 9/45

Hello Louisa,

I'm fine hope you are all the same. We have snow here in Belgium but not bad. I guess you have plenty back home. hope Carmen's wife is a little better. Also that your mouth is not too bad now.

We have good food here. the same old stuff as usual day after day. It's real nice over here far ahead of England and Can. ways and customs. Saw some wooden shoes and the windmills.

We are in German barracks our boys took back. They are even better than England no fires but not near as cold and damp. You can be warm even if it is cool.England you froze and had cold feet from dampness all the time.

No news other than its a nice country much similar to Canada. I'm at #2 C.B.R.G.....

......hope to be home again before to darn long again.


Yours as Always,
Milton.


P.S. your parcels haven't caught up with me yet.


There is something so odd about holding and reading the words someone wrote by hand 63 years ago. The letters have been in miraculous condition for being strewn about an abandoned house for the last ten years which has part of the roof missing and is just a ruin and yet these fragile pieces of history have survived. They were scattered through three rooms amidst rubble, piles and piles of papers, reciepts, newspapers and junk and yet they survived to tell a tale.

Blessings,
Liisa

Photo above courtesy of LCM Photos.

No comments: