Friday, April 25, 2008

Food From The Farm


One of the best ways I have found to save money is to cut out the middle man and buy whatever you can right from the farm. We live in a little town surrounded by farm land so we are quite blessed in this area. We purchase our beef by the quarter and get it for $2.20 a pound for every cut. Ground beef, t-bones, roasts, ribs etc. are all $2.20 a pound, that means considerable savings while allowing us to eat healthier since we know that these animals are healthy and not full of hormones, antibiotics and other nasty things. We also get to choose how it is cut and portioned. We buy our chickens and pork from the farm as well. If you are not able to afford a quarter cow or half a pig or simply do not need that much then it is a wonderful idea to share it with another family or families then you will all still take advantage of the savings!

There are many farmer's markets in our area and several Mennonite farms that sell produce, eggs, baking, etc. from little shops on their farms. Buying eggs from the farm saves 79 cents a dozen even more if you buy them by the flat. With the produce you can know that it is fresh, (I have bought cabbages that the lady went and cut right out of the field for me while I waited!) and talk directly to the grower about pesticide use etc. The Mennonites that I buy from do not use them so that is good to know.

So if you are able in your area you can eat healthier for much less by buying directly from the farm!

Blessings,
Liisa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea, I am going to look into it!

Liisa said...

I am so glad it is really worth it!
Thanks for stopping by!

Blessings,
Liisa

Susan Godfrey said...

Great post! We, as a country, need to get away from living for convience and start finding out where our food comes from! You may not be able to get the variety that you can get from the grocery store, but you know what you are eating, where it came from, and that it's natural and more nutritious. Not only that, in the long run it saves you money!

Lynn said...

We buy our beef from someone local. I agree it is so much better then what you can get in the store for the same price. I also try to go to some farms and pick berries in the summer and then freeze them. It is much cheaper then buying the frozen ones in the store.

Liisa said...

Susan - I agree! Health wise there are many benefits and economically as well.

Lynn - Good for you, what a differnce it makes! I too just love to go and pick berries in fact I am still using my blueberries form last year!

Thank you both for your comments and for stopping by!

Blessings,
Liisa

Laura said...

We buy everything we possibly can from farming friends...milk, eggs, beef, chicken, lamb...SO YUMMY and so much healthier for us!

Liisa said...

Oh I wish I knew where we could buy milk from the farm - we go through it like crazy!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Blessings,
Liisa