Thursday, July 31, 2008

Selfishness in Marriage


Philippians 2:3
Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.

Galatians 5:19-23
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders,drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Isn't it amazing how when you write a post about selfishness being the cause of so many marriage difficulties that you fall into selfishness yourself? That is exactly what happened to me.

I am ashamed to admit it but it is true. The last few days I have been grumpy and out of sorts because my hubby was busy with things and not home much and because he was spending so much time doing things for others while the list of things that need to be done around here has been piling up. This led into a dangerous pattern of thinking along such lines as he must really not care about me at all, if he did he'd be here and he would do these things for me. Then that led to thinking up all kinds of other things I could be upset about like the fact that we only have one vehicle and he is always "hogging it". In reality he works out of town and I am in the home all day....unfair? Not hardly. But do you see the pattern and how things can spiral out of control by me selfishly focusing on myself?
Thank the Lord I was pulled out of that through my morning time with the Lord and focusing on scriptures like the ones above.

Looking back on it I am glad my hubby has been working hard with his job and in the garden so that we can enjoy the fruits of that labour. I am also glad that I have a hubby that sees the needs of others and has a kind a generous heart and likes to help.

I can see how a selfish line of thinking can get completely out of control until a marriage is ruined. It is dangerous to allow yourself to fall into that pattern. I pray that the Lord will protect our marriage from such pitfalls and strengthen our relationship.

Blessings,
Liisa

3 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Liisa, That is sooooo true! If I don't catch mine early, it goes way out of control. I've started using a white board w/ my requests....and amazingly, he likes it and pretty much gets the stuff done. Sometimes, I do them and mark them out....not erase them, and he sees that I am trying to help. This helps me stay humble and not grumble....lol.

Liisa said...

That is a great idea! I will have to get one...I can see that this might work for us too. Thanks for the idea!
It is also good to know that others have had this same problem.


Blessings,
Liisa

Traci @ The Bakery said...

We started dating when I was 15 also! I married at 19.... I went to his Sr. prom w/ him and he went to my Sr. prom....such a neat legacy. Thanks for stopping by!