Monday, July 21, 2008

When Neighbourhoods Weren't Empty


I came across this letter published in the Neighbours section of Woman's Day July 1953 and it made me realize that all the other women in my neighbourhood are out at work and how empty our neighbourhood is during the week. Even after nine years of living here I am only on quick chat terms with my neighbours - some I do not even know! Here is the letter...

Open House at Our Home

Living in a neighbourhood overflowing with friendly mothers who like to coffee-chat, I was always at a loss about fitting this enjoyable break into a very busy schedule. Somehow the ironing always beckoned and, with two small children, it seemed never ending.

One fine spring day I couldn't bear to be indoors, so with the aid of an extension cord, I moved my ironing board and stool to the open back porch and soon found myself back fence visiting while ironing and enjoying the sunshine. A few neighbours brought their coffee over and sat down in my garden chairs to chat. When colder weather came, I of course moved back indoors. Friends and neighbours now understand that Tuesday morning is "open house" at our home. they walk in without knocking and help themselves to coffee and rolls or toast , always ready in the kitchen and see that I am supplied too. Gathering around our dining table near my board, some bring bits of mending or knitting and some use the time to exchange news and recipes and problems. In bad weather the children play happily in our basement playroom. No sooner do some friends leave than others join the group, giving me a wonderful sense of belonging and the glow of hospitality shared. Friendships have been strengthened and broadened, and I now look forward eagerly to an otherwise irksome chore.

Mrs. H. Hillegass, Riverside, Ill.

Doesn't that sound wonderful! How I would love to have other women to visit with while ironing - it really would make it a much more pleasant task. Well I may not have the other ladies but I think I may start ironing on the porch if this heat keeps up in our area!

Blessings,
Liisa

Picture - From Art.com

2 comments:

The Vintage Housewife... said...

oooh i so know doll...i think that is one reason i am so into being a vintage mama! i guess for these days that is why i am blessed by the blog...it's kinda like ladies getting together to bake pies...or ironing all together...love the post cat~

Liisa said...

That is true! The blog world is such a great way to meet other like minded ladies!

Thanks for poppping in!

Blessings,
Liisa