Tuesday, July 15, 2008

50's Recipe - Frosty Fruit Pies


I made this with crushed pineapple and it was so unbelievably yummy! I think it would be wonderful in any of the suggested flavors...well maybe not the prune juice but you never know! ~smile~.

Frosty Fruit Pies

Make a 9" pie shell and bake.

Bring to a boil - 1 1/4 cups crushed pineapple, pineapple juice, orange juice,
grape juice, prune juice, apricot nectar or applesauce.

Stir in until dissolved - 1 pkg. lemon flavored gelatin

Mix in - 3/4 to 1 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)

Cool until almost stiff.

Whip until stiff - *1 cup chilled undiluted Carnation Evaporated Milk with 1 tbsp. lemon juice.

Pour on top of the gelatin mixture. Beat in slowly with rotary beater or electric mixer at low speed. Pour into baked pie shell. Chill at least one hour. Garnish with shaved chocolate if desired.

* To whip carnation simply chill in refrigerator tray until soft ice crystals form around outside edges ( 15-20 minutes)
- Note I put mine in a shallow dish in the freezer.

Success tip - For a fluffy high pie be sure the gelatin mixture is almost stiff and that the carnation is whipped until it forms stiff peaks.

Lemon or lime variation - Use 1 cup boiling water and 1/4 cup lime or lemon juice. Lime or lemon flavored gelatin may be used.

This recipe appeared in Woman's Day August 1953.

Hope you enjoy it!

Blessings,
Liisa

2 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

I am going to try this sometime...it sounds sooooo yummy. I love old recipes....I use the Betty Crocker 1950 for a lot of my recipes....it took awhile to learn how to READ them....I can't tell you how many times I put two or more recipes together because they are just written weird. lol. Great blog!!!

Liisa said...

Oh I have two old cookbooks from that era as well and I just love them!

Thanks for popping by!

Blessings,
Liisa