Saturday, July 26, 2008

Peas! Peas! Peas!


Is there anything better than sitting on the porch swing and shelling peas while spending time with your son? I don't think so! That is how I spent part of my afternoon. So nice!

My sister, our friend and I went out to the Mennonite market in a near by town this morning and I was able to buy a big bag of peas as well as three big bags of pickling cucumbers and some yummy homemade graham crackers. My hubby will be making LOTS of dill pickles. I couldn't resist buying so many since it is so inexpensive to buy produce at the market and this way we will have lots of pickles to last until next summer. They are so good - I can't wait until they're ready! After the market we went to the Mennonite farm where I buy eggs whenever I can and I got a giant zucchini which I will be making into zucchini loaf tomorrow. We skipped the other farm we usually go to in that area since I had to get back to help at the church and we still wanted to go out for lunch on our way back home. Well, right across from the restaurant they have a little farmer's market and there was the lady and her family from the farm we skipped so I was able to buy some green beans from her and meet her husband and two of her little ones. They were so cute. It is a bit of a trip in the buggy to this town from their farm so we likely would have missed them at their place anyway. Funny how it all works out!

I just have to tell this story about my little monkeys and peas. I love to eat peas raw - just right out of the pod and one day last summer I had a bowl of raw peas and offered them to two of my little monkeys - they couldn't get enough of them and kept asking for more of the little green candies! I didn't have the heart to tell them they were peas! ~smile~

Hope you are enjoying your weekend too!

Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: