Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Homemade Refried Beans


Yesterday I made refried beans in the crockpot. They were so easy and taste just like the kind you buy! I was so glad I did make them and then decided to make cookies as well yesterday afternoon since we ended up with some surprise guests and it was so nice to have something to put out for them. We had refried beans, homemade salsa from the freezer and tortilla chips as well as washboard cookies (which are my friend's favorite kind!) Isn't it amazing how things work out that way sometimes!

Here is the recipe.

Refried Beans in the Crockpot

1 lb. dry pinto beans
2 cups water
3 cups chicken broth
3 cloves garlic minced
1 onion diced
1 tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt

- Rinse beans, discarding foreign matter. Place in a large bowl. Cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place in crockpot with remaining ingredients.
- Stir well, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender.
-Use a potato masher to mash well and stir with a wooden spoon. Continue to cook for another hour on low.
-Stir and mash again.
- Enjoy!


I took some pictures to share with you.....
*note - I doubled the recipe


Rinsing the Beans


Soaking the Beans


In the Morning



In the Crockpot


Before Mashing


Mashing


All Done!

2 comments:

*carrie* said...

Thanks for sharing this, Liisa. I was just thinking over the weekend that I should try these sometime.

Liisa said...

They really were easy to make and are really good!

Blessings,
Liisa