Monday, January 19, 2009

Busy Day!


Today I have had five little monkeys here and they have been playing really well together which is so nice, especially since I wanted to get so much done today. For craft today we made these cute frog puppets which they just loved especially when we sang the five little speckled frogs and they acted it out with their puppets.

I made tortillas again today because my hubby and son wanted Tortilla Roll ups for a snack tonight to use up a package of cream cheese we had. To make the roll ups I just softened the cream cheese then blended in about 2 tbsp. of mayonnaise, some shredded cheddar and enough salsa to make it a good consistency then spread it on tortillas rolled them up. Then I wrapped them in plastic wrap and popped them in the fridge - they need to sit in there for at least 2 hours. I have enough salsa left over to serve with the roll ups for dipping. That is the last of the salsa I made this summer. Normally we would have salsa into the late spring early summer but our tomato crop did not do well so I am looking forward to this summer and hopefully a better tomato harvest.

Since I had made tortillas I made bologna cheese whiz rolls for the littles for lunch. They LOVED them. I have learned even the ones who are super picky, will eat almost anything if I roll it up in a tortilla! ~smile~

I just finished making a blueberry pie - hubby's favorite. You can find the recipe I use here.

For dinner tonight I am making Sausage and Potato Casserole this is one of our family's favorite meals. I found the recipe years ago in a Country Woman magazine I believe. Here it is in case you would like to make it - very yummy!

Sausage Potato Casserole

1 lb. bulk sausage (I use normal sausage, I just cook it like normally would then when it is cool I cut it into slices.)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 cups sliced potatoes ( I have always had trouble getting the potatoes to cook soft in the casserole so I pre cook them either by boiling them whole or microwaving them then I peel and slice them when they have cooled.)
2 cups shredded cheese

Brown sausage, drain and set aside.
Combine soup, milk, onion, salt and pepper
In a greased 2 qt. casserole dish layer 1/2 of the potatoes, 1/2 the soup mixture and 1/2 the sausage. Repeat ending with sausage.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until potatoes are done.
Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven until cheese melts.

Note - I double the recipe and use a 9x13" pan. There are rarely leftovers!

Things have been quite stressful for my hubby lately since he just found out last week that his plant will be closing in the spring so I have been doing what I can to ease his stress - making sure things are running smoothly at home, making his favorite foods etc. I have also been trying harder to save money. I have been employing the old depression adage of use it up, wear it out, make do or do with out. I have repaired a skirt that I love by folding up and sewing a frayed hem and patching a tear in the back at the top of the slit and adding buttons to make the patch look like a buttoned on strap....kind of hard to explain but it ended up looking quite cute. I did not want to have to pay for a new skirt and hadn't been able to find one second hand so I made due however today I was blessed to find a long denim skirt in my size in like new condition at the second hand store for only $2.99. I was just thrilled! God is good and I have often found if I just wait I will be able to get what we need for a very good price.

We are not worried about the plant closing as we fully trust in the Lord and know that He will provide for our needs as we seek Him first. He is good!

Happy Monday!
Blessings,
Liisa

2 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Liisa,

I will be praying for you and family. Times are getting hard everywhere aren't they? Sounds like you've got a head start on budgeting.....stick with it!!!

Liisa said...

Thank you Traci!

Blessings,
Liisa