Thursday, January 8, 2009

Today's Craft for the Littles

This is actually yesterday's craft project. I didn't get a chance to post yesterday as one of my little monkeys woke up early from nap time and then proceeded to fall asleep on me - which was actually really nice just snuggling with a little one and listening to his soft little snores. Then another little one came down with a violent stomach virus. The poor little thing - fortunately her parents were close by and able to pick her up. I am just hoping no one else gets it.

Anyway, on to the craft project...

We had a pig themed day. I bought some little kits at the dollar store. Each one had three porcelain pig heads, paint and a brush.


I decided that we should take turns doing this one so we could avoid a paint disaster. The monkeys loved this project!

After they were finished and the pigs were drying we read some pig themed books I picked up at the library. I do wish I had pre read The Three Little Pigs book though.
The story I remember from childhood had the straw and twig house pigs run and join the brick house pig and the wolf couldn't get them. In this version the wolf eats the first two pigs and the third pig ends up eating the wolf after he comes down the chimney into a pot of boiling water and the pig slams the lid down and cooks him alive! I took the liberty of "editing" the story for young ears as we went along.

Mind you I have read some children's books myself from the thirties and forties and they were like little horror novels and yet the children from that generation turned out fine. I turned out fine too with Bugs Bunny cartoons where characters get blown up, eaten, run over, squished and fell off cliffs. Do you think we sugar coat things too much for children these days? I don't know but I do know that I just couldn't read what the story really said when I looked into those innocent little faces.

The other three books were wonderful though. They were....
Puppies and Piggies by Cynthia Rylant and Illustrated by Ivan Bates - a very sweet story.
Grandpa Loves by Rebecca Kai Dotlich and Illustrated by Kathryn Brown - so cute!
and
Goodnight Sweet Pig by Linda Bailey and Josee Masse - quite silly ~smile~


The finished product...


Blessings,
Liisa

2 comments:

Lori said...

Hey, Liisa! Great post... when you told us about your little ones falling asleep on you, I thought of this post from a blog I recently discovered. I know you would really like it. http://orgjunkie.com/2009/01/being-still-2.html

Liisa said...

Oh Lori, thanks for sharing that. How sweet.

Blessings,
Liisa