Thursday, August 7, 2008

What's Been Going On in My Home


July was an absolutely crazy month for me with holidays, work uncertainties, little monkeys schedules changing, and two big events at church. So now that that is all behind me and we are into August I am slowly getting back into routine, however there will be a few days this month where I am trying to get a new little one used to being here and two coming back part time who will need to readjust to our rules and schedule, but it shouldn't be too bad.

This month I mostly just have two little girls - sisters - and they do not arrive until 9 a.m. so that gives me alot of time first thing in the morning to get things done. I get up at 5:30 and then see my hubby off for the day at about 6 so that leaves me three free hours. First I put the coffee on and do the email Bible study and get it sent out to everyone, then I do my blog. Next I start the house work. For the bigger jobs on Monday's I strip and remake the beds and do the laundry, Tuesdays I deep clean the bathroom, Wednesday I do more laundry, Thursday I wash the floors, Friday I do more laundry. Everyday I sweep the porch and walk way (in the winter I shovel it)before the kids arrive, I also vacuum, sweep, clean the kitchen , dust and generally tidy and do whatever jobs need to be done.

I really like getting the kid's lunches made before we go for our walk at 10, that way when we get back from the walk I just have to heat up lunch and they are ready to eat and head for nap time. It also helps to get as much done for dinner before 10 as possible because after nap things are busy with changes, craft time, music time etc. etc. so it is a lot less stressful to get as much done ahead as I can since my family likes to eat as soon as the little ones go home at 5. For example the other day I made the spaghetti sauce in the morning then all I had to do for dinner was to heat it up and make the noodles. This morning I have a chicken in the oven which will be done about noon or so this means I can carve it and have it on a platter to heat up at supper time. All the mess will be cleaned up and gone and I will peel and cut the potatoes this afternoon during nap time as well as cut up the cauliflower and have that already so I just have to turn it on at 4 then dinner is easily ready by 5.

This plan usually enables me to have free time in the afternoon during nap time and to have my evenings free to spend with my family after the dishes are done and my hubby's lunch is made for the next day.

The little ones and I have been enjoying 2 playgroups each week. One is the Jigga Jump playgroup which is just a summer program and takes place in a nearby park and is such fun for them. They have free play with a great assortment of toys, do a craft and then exercise along with the Jigga Jump CD and the playgroup leader. Then on Wednesday's we go to the town hall playgroup and they play with toys there too and enjoy craft as well as a circle time with songs, games and a story. They just love playgroup and I do too as I can visit with other providers and moms.

I have also been spending alot of time exploring our area on the weekends. This past weekend my hubby took me to a town north of here where he goes to help at the fish ladder in the spring. It is such a lovely little town on the lake and I had never been there before. My hubby showed me the fish ladder and explained what he does there and then we went for a walk on the beach and stuck our feet in the water before we had the most wonderful pizza from a little general store there. Such a nice day! My sister and I have also been all over the country side. Sometimes it is just nice to drive the back roads and explore.

Anyway, I just thought I would share what's been happening here. What sort of routine do you have and what's been happening in your home? I would love to hear about it!

Blessings,
Liisa

4 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Do you have childcare in your home? I used to do that....survived one year...lol. I had a preschool on the farm. We will be starting back w/ our homeschool in two weeks. I work at my mother's for 2 1/2 days....which is great because kids can take their work with them. Do you cook your chicken in a crockpot or roaster or oven? I have a 10qt. roaster that is AMAZING....I can make two chickens in it and it just falls off the bone...yummy.

Liisa said...

I do have childcare in my home which I love because it enables me to be home. I also had hoped to have lots of children of my own but we were blessed with just one so this way I still have my house full of little ones.

That is great that you can bring your monkeys with you to work and they can do their school work there. What a great arrangement! What do you do at your mother's?

I usually put the chicken in my crockpot as I have a big one but the chicken I cooked yesterday was 10 lbs. and just would not fit well enough for the lid to close so I cooked it in the oven. I would love to have a roaster - we have used them at church for the turkeys when we do the Christmas dinners. We also used it to reheat a large amount of food and keep it hot for a wedding buffet - so handy!

Thanks for popping in!
Blessings,
Liisa

Traci @ The Bakery said...

My mother is a mineral owner...as in gas and oil. We lease the properties and hopefully get oil or gas royalties. It was difficult for me to learn since I was a CREATIVE teacher....and accounting doesn't let me use the same type of creative juices...ick. When I kept children for the ONE year, I didn't care a full load and still only made $200 LESS than I did as a public school teacher....shame shame shame. The one thing that drove me nuts was having parents bringing their children on their days off.....I never could understand why they wouldn't want to spend time with their children. I just read on some blog, where a lady bakes her bread in the roaster on the back patio....I will certainly try that idea...as long as I can keep the dogs away. Have a great day!!!

Liisa said...

Accounting is not my thing at all -I was chruch treasurer for 2 years - the fools, what were they thinking when they elected me HAR!HAR!HAR! Seriously though I was so glad to have that job end, it was one of those times where you are kind of guilted into a job you really don't want because they can't find anyone else to do it. Perhaps that should have been a lightbulb moment for me - if no one else in the whole church wants a job then perhaps there is a reason!

I never understood why parents would do that either - it's happened here alot too.....makes me feel bad for the little ones.

Hmmm...bread in the roaster - great idea.

Blessings,
Liisa