Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Negativity


I was by Living the Good Life - Traci's blog, this morning and was really inspired by this post. It is short and to the point and really reflects what I have been thinking about today.

I have been awfully negative about everything lately. There is a bit of upheaval happening in my life right now with regards to church and that negativity is coloring everything else in my life. I am sure my sister is so tired of talking to me because just about everything I say has a negative tone.

I came across this scripture today Proverbs 21:23 "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles." That is so true.

I know that I am being negative and that I just need to stop it but then out pops more. Which reminds me of the scripture found in Matthew 15:18-20 "But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man... "

The negativity in my speech is coming from my heart and I need to spend time in prayer asking God's forgiveness and help to move past these feelings. I also need to keep control over my mouth and my tongue.

I often think about Proverbs 31 and the virtues describe there and one is coming to mind today and that is verse 26 "She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness." I pray that that will be true of me.

Blessings,
Liisa

3 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Amen!!! That is so true. I have a friend that I can honestly not think of ONE time that she has bad mouthed someone.....if people start their yadda yaddaing....she will go find something else to do and doesn't participate.....I aspire to be like that. I feel like am so busy looking at the weeds that I forget to see the flowers....know what I mean?

50s Housewife said...

Negativity is so hard to get away from isn't it? We get it from all sides in our culture. Good for you for realizing and it and doing something about it! :)

Liisa said...

Traci - I know exactly what you mean, I know a woman like that too. I have never heard her say a negative thing about anything or anyone and she is just the nicest sweetest person I know and everyone wants to be around her. I often think be like Wilma be like Wilma! ~smile~

50's Housewife- Thank you! Negativity is very much a part of our culture isn't it.

Thank you both for popping in!

Blessings,
Liisa