Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hello? McFly?


McFly is a term my sister and I use to describe those times when it's like God gives you a smack in the head. It comes from the movie Back to the Future where Biff is always smacking Marty's Dad on the head and saying Hello? McFly?

I got a huge McFly today. I have been wanting a book called The Gentle Ways of the Beautiful Woman by Anne Ortlund which combines the three books Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman, Disciplines of the Heart and Disciplines of the Home. I haven't read any of them but recently heard an interview with Anne Ortlund which referenced them. Well I went from wanting this book to convincing myself that I needed it. So because I now needed this book I called all over and searched all over on line for it. This morning I actually found it on Amazon so unbelievably I justify the purchase of it to spite rather high shipping costs (international) because God must want me to have that book. I know! Completely outrageous.

O.k. so now I order the book but feel that nagging feeling - you know the one where you know you have just done something wrong. It gets even worse. I go to my email and there is the confirmation email for the purchase. I moved to the file where I keep devotionals I want to keep and emails I need etc. But even as I did I knew that I was doing it so my hubby wouldn't see it. AACK! I felt awful already. I mean what on earth was I doing - I do not do things like that!

Then I open my devotional today from Girlfriends in God. This is what was waiting for me. What a huge McFly. I could not even believe what I was reading. I immediately confessed and asked for forgiveness and felt like God was telling me to cancel my order....incredibly I argued and said what if they are angry....I had are you pleasing God or pleasing men pop into my head. I argued but what if there are penalties for cancelling and then thought I would have wasted more on the book anyway.Finally it was like God said OBEY. I did. I cancelled my order and they were very nice and there were no penalties. Right after I did that I felt such a relief like a weight was lifted off me.

I am quite ashamed of myself but I wanted to share this anyway so that others may be able to learn from my mistake and perhaps some may acknowledge their McFlys.

Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: