Thursday, February 2, 2017

Sauerkraut

Tonight we had homemade sauerkraut with bacon, double smoked farmer's sausage and potatoes for dinner. mmmmm!
Here is a picture of the sauerkraut and bacon on the stove.
My hubby and son made the sauerkraut this fall. It was quite the process and a little scary the first time but oh my it is soooo good.  They had an elderly German lady teach them. They made a 5 gallon pail full. When it was ready we divided it up into medium freezer bags and froze it. It came out just like it was fresh - freezing it didn't hurt it at all. ~smile~
To prepare it for dinner I chopped up half a pound of bacon which I cooked in a medium pot, I drained most of the fat then added in the defrosted sauerkraut and cooked it on low all afternoon stirring now and then. The picture is after it had been cooked.

Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: