Monday, February 20, 2017

Chicken

Today I just thought I would talk about chicken. ~smile~  Yesterday my hubby barbecued a whole chicken. He is so sweet and put the chicken on in the morning and it was done when we got home from church so we had the afternoon free to spend together. ~big smile!~
 He LOVES to BBQ and it is so much easier for him to do it as there is no big roast pan to wash after etc. Our chickens are 10-12 lbs. each and a friend of ours raises them. I love getting chickens from him as the flavor is amazing, they are always juicy and we know what they eat. They are also drug free and as an added bonus for me and even more so for the chickens is that they have happy chicken lives. They are allowed outside and there are no cages or over crowding involved.
Yay for happy, healthy chickens!
We usually eat the chicken for dinner then I package up the rest of it (as in the picture above). After dinner I take all the meat off the bones and cut it up in little pieces which I divide up into sandwich bags. Then I put all the baggies in a big freezer bag and freeze it for later use. I portion the meat out to be enough for fried rice, casseroles, pot pies, pizzas, curries etc. One chicken can yield about 12 dinners including the first meal since I usually use less meat than recipes call for to stretch meat a bit further and save money. I just added more veggies etc to fill it out. If a recipe does need more meat I just use two baggies.

Just a little food prep to save time later - it is so great to be able to just pull out ready cooked chicken whenever you need it.

Happy Monday!
Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: