Monday, February 6, 2017

Baking Bread

Monday is the  day I make our bread for the week. I had always struggled with bread baking until I found a You Tube tutorial by Big Family Homestead. Here is a link to that video - Amish White Bread.
My bread always used to turn out VERY heavy, super dense and generally yucky. I even failed at making bread with a bread machine! My hubby is so sweet and supportive that  he ate it anyway and told me it was good. Poor guy! He is sooo happy that I found that tutorial.

One thing that made a difference is the temperature of the water. I never had the water hot enough because I was afraid of killing the yeast. The other is covering the dough in the bowl and then in the pans with a warm wet cloth.
I cut an old duvet cover into a large rectangle that will double up over 4 loaf pans. It works really well.
I also learned how to properly knead the dough. ~smile~
To make clean up much easier I wipe the counter with a warm damp dish cloth then lay plastic wrap over it....the wetness helps the plastic wrap to stick to the counter well. Then I  work on top of it. This way when I am done I can gather up the plastic wrap and all the mess at once. I do the same when I am making pie crust. So quick and easy.
You can't really see the plastic wrap in this picture but that is because of how well it sticks with a damp counter. *wink*
I hope if you haven't already tried making your own bread, or if you are like me and haven't had any success before that you will give the tutorial a try!
Happy Monday!
Blessings,
Liisa



No comments: