Thursday, February 16, 2017

Hospital Packlist for After Surgery


I have had several surgeries the last few years so I thought I would share what I bring with me for the hospital stay, just some things I am so glad I have with me and a few things I wish had brought along.

First is a satin pillowcase. I have long hair (down to my hips) and it really helped my hair not to mat and knot up. It also made the hospital bed a wee bit nicer.

Next is my own modest nightgowns and house coat. I was so glad I had these because you have visitors, your room mate has visitors and you have to get up and walk the hallways in front of everyone.

Slippers that you can slide your feet into but that aren't going to cause you to trip. For most surgeries you are not going to be able to and or want to bend over to put them on. You really do need footwear.

Soap and 2in1 shampoo are third on my list. Hospital toiletries are not very nice so having your own is a real plus.

Other personal items I brought are - comb, brush, barrette, elastics to braid my hair (so much better when you are in bed all day ~smile~) antiperspirant, toothbrush and toothpaste, floss, face moisturizer, body moisturizer, I put all these things in a toiletry bag so it was all contained and easy to take in the washroom with me. It also makes it easier to ask someone to pass it to you if you have a day or two when you cannot get out of bed. I did end up putting the brush, elastic, barrette and antiperspirant in the bed table to be able to freshen up easier.

Dry shampoo in case you are not allowed to shower right away. Dove makes a nice one. It is nice to know you won't have greasy hair if you can't wash it for a couple of days.

A bit of money concealed in a mint tin or somewhere. It is nice to have enough to top up your TV/ Internet or to ask someone to grab you a "real" coffee or tea from Timmies.

Another item I loved having was my cel. phone and charger. It was so nice to have my own phone to use so I could easily get and make calls. Just be sure to slip it in your robe pocket when you leave your room and remember to bring your charger home with you! The orderly told me that almost everyone forgets their charger so they have TONS in the lost and found. The bonus of others forgetting is that if you forgot to bring a charger to the hospital with you they can likely lend you one of the ones that have been left behind. *wink*

Books, puzzle books, devotionals etc. Your Bible of course though  I ended up using the Bible that was on my phone - it was easier to hold in bed but I missed the real thing.

Sermons on your phone or ipod are a real blessing. Some uplifting music too can really perk you up.

Tea bags! Hospital coffee is truly unpleasant but when they bring you tea they bring hot water with the bag on the side so it is nice to switch it up with your own teas.

Cornstarch. Oh how I wished I had some cornstarch the time before last. I got heat rash so badly on the back of my legs and arms. I had to lay on my back the whole time and plastic mattresses do NOT breathe. I asked for something but all they had was body powder and it was perfumed and just made it itch worse and burn. My last stay I was able to get a fan in the room and it really helped.

A notebook is very handy for writing down things you want to remember, things that occur to you, prayers, ideas etc. etc. Don't forget a few pens - I had a new pen that chose not to work so I was grateful for backups.

Note cards/ Thank you cards for helpful staff , room mates, special nurses etc. Also you can get a start on thank you cards for visits, gifts/ flowers etc. you receive in the hospital. I did not do that and the notebook was handy for me to keep track of notes I needed to write.

Whatever makes you comfortable! Blanket, afghan, pictures of your family etc. I always bring a picture of my hubby it helps a little bit with being away from him at night.

Other ideas travel size mouth wash, breath spray, mints, hard candies, - mouths are very dry for days after anesthetic, correspondence to catch up on, small projects you can do in bed.

I think that is about it. Now you don't want to show up with a travel trunk hee! hee! but it is so good to be prepared it will make your stay so much more pleasant. ~smile~

So just somethings I that I thought I would share in case someone might be facing a surgery or know someone who is.
Happy Thursday!
Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: