Monday, June 30, 2008

Decorating the Guest Room

My wonderful sister came over last week and helped me wallpaper our spare room. We moved into this house years ago and every time we had guests I was embarrassed of our guest room. The previous owners used it as a little boys room and it had grey, brown and beige stripped wallpaper on the top and a cream, grey and brown plaid on the bottom with horse head border in between with blue valances on the windows. It was actually very charming as a boy's room but not suited to an adult guest room and honestly I found the horse heads a bit creepy!I wish now that I had taken a before picture to show you, but I do have pictures of the way it looks now. I am thrilled and can't wait to have company! It is pretty and grown up. I do love for things to be pretty and that could be because I am out numbered here - even the cat is a boy!

The very best part about the redecorating is that the wallpaper was given to me several years ago and I just found the border at a second hand store for 50 cents a roll and it matches like I bought it all together! There was one small glitch in things and that is that we ran out of the top wall paper with just a 2 foot by three foot patch to go....Since the wallpaper was given to me so long ago I had no idea how to get more. I tried several places and no one had anything that matched on hand at one store they told they may be able to order something for $30 a single roll and it should be here in a few WEEKS. I said no thank you and ended up at another store where they had a small remnant which is almost a perfect match and I paid $1.50 for it. So my entire room cost $3.00 and I still have a roll of border left over. The valances I had saved from my son's room when he had a change in there. The quilt was from our room, my Mum made the needlepoint picture and the other flowered ones I had collected to go in this room one day from second hand stores - I am just so pleased with the low cost and how pretty it is!

Here are a few pictures...





Blessings,
Liisa

2 comments:

*carrie* said...

Liisa,

What a lovely room. Doesn't it feel nice to complete big projects?!

Liisa said...

Thank you Carrie! Yes it is a wonderful feeling to have it done at last!

Blessings,
Liisa