Thursday, June 5, 2008

Baking Bread


Well things have calmed down considerably around here - Praise the Lord! It has been so nice to just be at home and look after things here. One of the things I have been doing today is baking bread.

I am shocked by how much flour has gone up in price in the last month or so and even more shocked by how much bread costs. How much more I appreciate my bread maker now. Rye bread is now nearly $4 a loaf here and white bread (just plain old white bread) is nearing the two dollar a loaf point! I make both of these at home for a mere fraction of the cost even with the increase in the cost of flour.

My bread maker actually bit the dust this week! I am so glad that I kept the receipt in the booklet that came with it and the box stashed away in the basement. It was so simple to just gather it all up and take it back to the store where we purchased it. It had a one year warranty so I was able to walk right out of the store with a new one. They didn't even ask any questions! So now I have a brand new bread maker again - what a blessing!

As I type this I have a loaf of rye bread baking. My hubby tells me it is his very favorite bread. ~smile~

Here is the recipe I use....

Crusty Rye Bread

1 3/4 cup water (80-90 degrees)
3 tbsp. oil
3 tbsp. nonfat milk powder
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp. wheat gluten
1 1/2 cups rye flour
2 tbsp. rye flour
2 tsp. yeast

- Add to bread machine in order, placing yeast in a small well in flour.
- Process on whole wheat cycle - 2 lb. loaf

I love this bread toasted in the mornings with raspberry jam or with the yummy pomegranate jelly my sweet hubby bought for me.

Blessings,
Liisa

2 comments:

*carrie* said...

Liisa,

I just bought wheat flour in bulk. I often make muffins, but it's been a long time since I've made "regular" bread--I'd like to do that again soon. I don't have a breadmaker, but have a trusty recipe we like.

Liisa said...

Thanks for visiting Carrie!

I have not had good results from baking bread without a machine- no matter what recipe I use it comes out weighing a ton!

We buy our flour in bulk too as we go through a lot of it. I bake almost everyday bread and cakes, cookies, muffins etc. With a teenage son we go through it like crazy and when his friends are here ....WOW! Can a group of teen guys ever put away the food! We love having them here though. ~smile~

Blessings,
Liisa