Monday, June 30, 2008

Church Picnic


What could be more fun than a church picnic? A church picnic held at a beautiful historic site!

Yesterday our church had it's annual picnic. What fun we had. We were invited to hold it at the former home of the founder of a nearby town. We had our service there as well. It rained early on in the day so we had the service and lunch in an outbuilding which was so cute. For lunch we enjoyed shepherd's pie which we made from leftovers from our banquet last month and froze. I had wondered how shepherd's pie would freeze but it was just fine! Everyone then brought a cold side dish or dessert to go with it. I brought a noodle salad which I made with rotini noodles, mayonnaise, tuna, chopped hard boiled eggs, diced green pepper, onion, pepper and paprika. I usually like to lay slices of egg on top of the salad and then sprinkle on the paprika as it looks pretty that way but my eggs were fresh from the farm and they do not peel well so it was best to chop them and stir them into the salad. I also brought some slices of watermelon. Watermelons have been on sale around here lately so I bought a big one and we have really been enjoying it here the last couple of days. When I serve watermelon I like to chop it into cubes as it makes for less drips and mess to eat it that way but for a picnic it has to be sliced! Is there anything better than icy cold watermelon on a hot day?


By the time the meal was over the sun was out and the games commenced! The children took part in several games, tug of war, a scavenger hunt, memory games etc. etc. They had so much fun. Some of the adults were able to tour the house. It is so beautiful and has such incredible history. My friend and I just loved the kitchen with it's huge fireplace for cooking. I also saw a reflector oven for the first time - a very cool little invention that was placed near the fire and used for baking. The basement was a little creepy as it still had a part of the jail cell that was built in down there since the owner was a magistrate and often had people locked up down there until they could be transported to the jail. The floor though was all brick which I thought was pretty neat - I have never seen that before. The whole house and the grounds were just so lovely - how I wish I had brought my camera!

It was a wonderful day of worship, fun and fellowship - God is good!


Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: