Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday - Email Bible Study


A few friends and I used to gather here for a Bible study once a week. We'd read a chapter of the Bible and discuss it, read occasional commentaries on it, and share life experiences and generally uplift and encourage one another.

The group eventually broke up due to lack of time and the generally very busy lives of the ladies that used to come. There is now a study and prayer time for ladies at the church but many of us are unable to go to that one - I have my little monkeys so I can't but I was REALLY missing the time to study God's Word with others. I then got the idea to do it via email. Each morning I post a chapter of the Bible along with any commentary that may be relevant, and my thoughts and comments. I send this out to the other ladies who then email back with questions, thoughts or comments. This works out really well as we can all do it as we find time through out the day and still get feed back from others. We are also reading through the Bible much quicker! We study 5 chapters a week now instead of only 1 and we take weekends off.

It isn't quite the same as getting together in person but it works for me. For more Works For Me Wednesday ideas please visit Rocks in My Dryer.

Blessings,
Liisa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I have an old bible study group that has dissolved due to similar issues, and one moved away. That's an excellent way to keep going! Beyond email, you could have another blog for it.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful ideal

marigold said...

This is a beautiful idea. Do you use any type of study guide or just wing it?

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

Great idea! Continue your ministry.

http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

That's a nice idea!

Audra Krell said...

Great ideas. You are still interacting. Of course it's not the same as getting together, but I bet at some moments in your life, it is just what you need. Thanks for sharing!

Liisa said...

Thank you all for stopping by and for leaving a comment!

Lisa- Another blog would be a great idea - then perhaps others in our church who would like to just read along may have the opportunity to do so without having to feel committed to it.It has been a blessings and a way to keep going when life gets in the way of meeting together in person.


Marigold - I don't use a study guide necessarily but I do find commentary on www.blueletterbible.org and also occassionally use a study bible or other online commentaries to help with passages that may need further explanation or where I find that it may be helpful to get a clearer picture.

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your kind comments!

Blessings,
Liisa

Kara said...

I love this idea. The Lord laid on my heart a few weeks back to email my friends (all over the US & one in Canada) and see who was interested in picking a Bible study book and digging in together via email...I am excited to start it next week with 10 of us...we'll see how it goes. Thanks to today's technology we can be close and accountable to others all over the world...

Liisa said...

Hi Kara Lyn!

Ten of you....wow! That is wonderful. The internet can be such a blessing though it can also be a curse!

I am so glad to hear that others are doing this as well!

Thanks for popping by!

Blessings,
Liisa