Monday, January 7, 2008

Phone Troubles


This morning when I picked up our phone there was no dial tone. I called for service (from my mother in law's) and tried the tricks they suggested but all to no avail so now I am awaiting the arrival of the telephone repair man. He was very nice and called (my mother in law's) this morning to let me know that he would be arriving sometime this afternoon. I am hoping he comes after nap time is over. I am also praying that the trouble is outside the house so we do not have to pay for a service call.

I was so glad that he called because that enabled us to still go out for our walk. It was so nice in spite of the bit of drizzle as it is quite warm here today!

One thing I have noticed today without the phone is that it is really quite nice! There have been no telemarketers calling and I haven't been on the phone all day which to my shame happens much too often. I am sensing a theme here with the reduction in computer time and now no phone....so much more gets done and there really is a sense of peace in the house. Technology is a wonderful thing but it takes over our lives sometimes and it is good once in a while to step away from all that. The Bible is full of warnings about these things and this incident has really brought them to mind.

2 Thessalonians 3:10-12
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat.

1 Timothy 5:13-14
Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house. And not only do they become idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying things they ought not to. So I counsel younger widows to marry, to have children, to manage their homes and to give the enemy no opportunity for slander.

Titus 2:4-5
Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children,to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

God's Word tells me to be busy and not idle.. To work and not be a busy body. Even though I am at home I can still be a busy body visiting house to house wasting time on the phone or online. It is such an easy thing to do. As I said before technology is wonderful, I just realize that it is important that it does not take over my life and cause me to be idle or a busy body.

Having no phone also gives me a chance to really think things over before I act or say something. Sometimes I go with my impulses and jump on the phone when I have a thought or idea that I would like to share but I often haven't really thought things out fully before I share them. Thinking things out thoroughly before I act is a lesson I have yet to learn fully! ~sigh~

Speaking of being busy I better finish up a few things before my little ones get up from nap time.

Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: