Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Holiday Menus


I thought I would share our menu for the holidays. Many of the things we have are a family tradition which we have every year. Tortierre on Christmas eve is one of those traditions. My father worked for CN Rail so we moved quite often when I was growing up. One of the places we lived was in a suburb of Montreal. While there my father embraced the Quebec tradition of having tortierre on Christmas eve and we have carried that on every year since. My Dad made the absolute best tortierre I have ever had. I'll let you in on a little secret....don't tell anyone though....while I will make everything else from scratch I bought our tortierre. I know it is shameful! However Schneider's does make a very good one and they are very inexpensive......sshhhh....it's our little secret.

So after the true confessions, here without further ado is our holiday menu.....

Christmas Eve

Tortierre with gravy
Homemade Christmas cookies
Ham and Cheddar mini quiches
Mexican layered dip
Chips and dip


Christmas Day

Brunch -
Wife Saver (recipe here ) bacon and toast with jams, jellies and peanut butter, fresh fruit, juice, coffee and assorted teas.

Afternoon -
Snacks left from Christmas eve.

Dinner -
Roast turkey
My Hubby's wonderful stuffing
Gravy
Mashed potatoes regular and vegan for my niece.
Pickle tray
Corn
My mother in law's red cabbage
My mother in law's kale
rolls
butter
coffee and teas.

I had planned to make a black forest trifle for dessert but after talking it over with my sister and hubby we decided that everyone will just be too full to eat it so we will have a tray of German chocolate and marzipan goodies instead.

My goodness I may have to hit a strict diet when Boxing day comes along!

Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: