Thursday, September 11, 2008

Happenings


I just thought I'd share what I have been up to for the last while....

I found a nearly full can of white paint in our basement so I took a day and freshened our kitchen by repainting all the cupboards and trim white....what a difference that made! It looks so fresh and new in there now. I also had my son do the same thing in the upstairs bathroom. He is such a good boy and did a great job!

My son and I removed a huge cabinet that was in the mudroom and I was able to reorganize everything into a small bookshelf that tucks underneath a cabinet on the wall behind the door. We have so much more room in there now and things are much easier to find. It looks so much prettier too with baskets to hold craft supplies.

My little monkeys are all back and we are settling nicely into our routines. I missed having them all here this summer though it was a nice break to have things a little lighter for a few weeks.

My hubby went looking for coupons online and found one on Save.ca for $10 off a Gillette fusion razor. When I looked in the flyers Zehrs has those on sale this week for $9.99 so I was able to pick one up for free! You have to love it when that happens! We do not have CVS or Walgreens here so getting things for free is rare indeed and quite exciting!

I came down with a crazy virus that caused aches, fever and headache as well as pain in my legs and exhaustion and lasted for 5 days. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it is? I went to the doctor to make sure I wasn't contagious and he didn't know what it was beyond a virus.

When I took Timothy to the vet I found out that he weighs 14.8 lbs. well that is a best guess as he would not stand on the scale for more than half a second. I also found out that he is half Maine Coon Cat. I had never heard of this before but when I looked up the pictures I could not believe it! So many of them look EXACTLY like Timothy. We always thought he was just good old "Canadian Barn Cat" but as it turns out he has a breed! ~smile~

My friend and I went to the market as well as a Mennonite farm and purchased eggs and produce on Saturday. I am always obsessed with cabbage in the fall and making cabbage rolls to put away in the freezer - I don't know why but I can't seem to help myself! ~smile~ Anyway I picked out a very big cabbage and one that was just huge! I mean I have never, ever seen a cabbage this big before! I mentioned to the lady how happy I was about this cabbage and how I always try to find big ones because they make such nice cabbage rolls. She tells me they have more really big ones still in the garden and asks how many I would like. Now I really do have serious cabbage issues because I have already purchased a really big cabbage and a HUGE cabbage and I was thinking to myself....hmmm...I could make just tons of cabbage rolls with alot more of these giant cabbages. Fortunately though I got a hold of myself and only asked for one more. Her sister goes out and cuts me a cabbage bigger than the huge one! It is a monstrosity of a cabbage! Quite pleased with myself we finish our shopping and I head home with thoughts of a freezer full of cabbage rolls never once wondering how exactly I was going to boil these giant cabbages to get the leaves off to make the cabbage rolls. As it ends up my very biggest pot would hold the cabbage but two thirds of it stuck out the top so I borrowed my Mother in law's gigantic soup pot which just fit them! One cabbage worth of rolls barely fit into my biggest roasting pan which has held even the biggest turkey we have ever had. Some of the rolls I made fill a dinner plate - I am not kidding they are huge!

So now that you all know that I am in fact insane and have heard more about cabbage than you had ever wanted to I will go for now but if you are ever in my area drop by for dinner we'll have cabbage rolls!

Blessings,
Liisa

2 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

I'm like that with OKRA....make it, freeze it, freeze some more...yummy.

I can't get my family to eat cabbage....

So, not having a computer allowed you to get busy painting...hmmm....maybe I need to do that to get the trim painted in my bathroom....from a year ago!!!

Liisa said...

I am glad I am not the only one who gets obsessed with things!

I got so much done without my computer! It is shameful really how little I am getting done now by comparison...I really need to limit my time online and find a balance, so I can keep geeting so much done and yet still enjoy sometime visiting blogs etc.

Blessings,
Liisa