Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Apples!


I was blessed the other day with a big bag of apples. My friend has a tree in her front yard and had enough to share. I was quite surprised and pleased when I found the bag hanging on the door. She told me that they were best used for baking so I peeked through my recipes to see what I should make.

Yesterday I made a big apple crisp and 3 dozen raw apple muffins. I put two dozen muffins in the freezer where I also have two dozen banana muffins. I like to make a double or even triple batch of things when I bake so I can put some in the freezer for times I may have surprise company or just don't have time to bake. It is so nice just to pull something out when you need it and it really isn't any more work to bake extra.

It is such a blessing to have friends that like to share their bounty!

Blessings,
Liisa

2 comments:

*carrie* said...

Mmm, I love apple recipes! I need to find a source this year--last fall, a neighbor blessed us with a sackful!

Liisa said...

I hope you do find a source - I just love baking with apples and buy a bushel every year from the orchard which I prep and freeze for pies throughout the winter. I usually buy them for $9 a bushel already picked but if you pick your own they are less and windfall apples are very cheap to pick and just fine for baking - so I will try and get out and do that before the season is over.

Blessings,
Liisa