Friday, August 31, 2018

Hoarding or Money Saving?

This is my collection of oven mitts. On first glance I know you are thinking hoarding but I have a reason for having so many pairs. Well it makes sense to me anyway hee hee!

I love to shop second hand for everything I can and save money. Oven mitts are one of the things that do not come up all that often in the shops so I buy a set whenever I come across them if they are in good shape. I have not had to buy oven mitts at the store in years. If mine have a little accident or get too bad I can just go to my linen closet and grab a new pair. I have a spare ironing board cover ready to go when I need it too  - those are even harder to find and my spare was a very expensive one new and was still in the package when I found it at a second hand store.

If I can buy things I know I will be needing even if I do not need it right now for a fraction of what they cost new I think it is a wise investment . I will do this if I find something on clearance as well and I just put it away until I need it.

A word to the wise though - this can get out of hand if you are a person with hoarding tendencies. I do not go overboard. For example I will not buy anymore oven mitts until I get through some of the ones I have. I wouldn't have 3 ironing board covers either, one is enough since you don't go through them like oven mitts. We have a big old house with lots of room but I don't feel the need to buy just because I have room to put it. Well books might be my one weakness that way!  I have two shelves of books in my "to read"  pile and more being stacked on top so I really need to stop buying books for a bit! It doesn't help that I am the church librarian and I keep thinking "Oooo this book will be good for the library and this one and this one. The only trouble is I need to read these books first to be sure they are ok and I am backed up in my reading. *yikes!*

So yes moderation is the key to being wise and frugal and stocking up for tomorrow. ~smile~

Happy Friday!
Blessings,
Liisa


No comments: