Thursday, August 30, 2018

Special Items

 This is one of my most prized possessions it is a hand crocheted doily that my Great Grandmother made. She passed away at 100 in 2000. I loved Nanny Stewart very much and I miss her still so I cherish this handiwork of hers. For awhile I had it hidden away in my hope chest but then I realized one day that I never look at it or enjoy it which is sad. So out it came and it has been on my dining room table almost everyday since. Yes spills happen and my heart stops for a moment but in the scheme of life it is only a thing. My memories are not tied all up in it. It brings me far more joy to look at it everyday and smile than to hoard it away. Stains come out and it survives. ~smile~

 Upstairs I have a china tea set my Mother in Law gave me just before we married. It is in the protective padded cases it came to me in. My Mother in Law got it for her wedding from her Mother in Law. The truly sad thing is her whole marriage it had never left it's cases except to show me and I have been married for 26 years now and it hasn't left the cases in all those years. I am not even sure I remember what it looks like except it is blue and white. How awful to have something so lovely and be so scared of ruining it that I never even look at it!

 What good are they if they just keep getting passed on and no one ever sees them? It is just a padded burden when you move! No more! I am planning a tea with friends this minute and breaking out the tea set and sharing the story of it's heritage as we enjoy it!

Can I encourage you to enjoy your treasures?


Happy Thursday!
Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: