Saturday, November 15, 2008

On Tonight's Menu


Shepherds pie made with ground moose rather than ground beef.

We have been blessed by my hubby knowing many hunters who like to share their bounty with us. We have been given ground moose, stewing moose, and moose roasts as well as deer steaks and just last night my hubby was given a large deer roast.

My hubby and son are planning to hunt for themselves next season. Mark (hubby) used to hunt alot when he was younger and now Andy(son) is looking forward to going. He never had an interest when he was younger and we did not force him as he was quite upset about the whole idea but now as he is rapidly approaching manhood he is anxious to take the hunting course and get out with his Dad. We have hoped that he would come around as we believe that learning to hunt and fish are valuable skills for a man that may help him later on to feed his family.

Not so many years ago all boys learned to hunt and fish from an early age and it was just part of life. I think that we have lost too many of the old skills. I have purchased many books on old time skills and hope to learn all I can. I think we lost something special and important when we became so completely reliant on modern conveniences and grocery stores.

Blessings,
Liisa

2 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Ok, I don't know if I could do moose....

I can't even do deer....lol.

You are really going to crack up when you see my post that is going up on Monday.....we are back to our small world things....tee hee. Keep watching....you'll know what I mean when you see the post.

Liisa said...

I look forward to reading it!

Moose isn't as "gamey" as you might think especially if you cook it right.

Blessings,
Liisa