Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tommorrow


My sister and I were going over 2 Peter 3 in our Bible study and I thought I would share with you some things that occurred to me while I was reading it.

Here is the portion that really stood out for me.....

2 Peter 3:10-15 (New International Version)

10But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

11Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives

12as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.

13But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

14So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. 15Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.

The end will come as a thief....it could come right now as I am typing this! Am I ready or have I been thinking somewhere in the back of my mind there's time....what does it really matter if I gossip today or say things I shouldn't or watch shows that put wrong ideas in my head I can make it up tomorrow, I'll start being good tomorrow. I'll quit being a glutton tomorrow, I'll quit holding a grudge tomorrow, I'll reach out to my neighbours tomorrow, I'll start being the best person I can be tomorrow.
What if the end comes before tomorrow. Will God know I have been trying my best to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him? Will He see I was trying to live a holy and godly life? Or will He see someone who put Him on the back burner for her own selfish desires and her desire to hold a grudge, be a gossip and someone who kept shoving aside what she should be doing with thoughts of being better tomorrow. I pray that won't be the case. I pray I will live every moment of my life for Him, for His glory and with Him always first in my mind. I know I am a sinner and it is only through grace that I am saved but I also know that God calls us to do the very best we can for Him. Tomorrow may be too late.

Blessings,
Liisa

1 comment:

Ms. Metcalf said...

WOW, I love your honesty! i am going to make an effort to be today what i know i should be. thanks for sharing!