Monday, March 17, 2008

Priorities


I have had a few discussions today that got me thinking about priorities. I think many times we all get our priorities in the wrong order...I know I do. When that happens I need to step back and reevaluate what is going on and what I am doing.

The first conversation was with a wonderful woman who is so giving and generous with her time. She was saying that she was just running home with supplies for a group she is leading this week and that she had just gotten Sunday school planned and done since it was just her turn to teach. She was also talking about upcoming events she is heavily involved in. Everything she is involved with and doing is wonderful important work but she also said that her husband is getting upset and that her house looks like a cyclone went through it. As she hurried down the street I called after her retreating form to remember that it is o.k. to say no. She looked back chuckled and rolled her eyes like that just wasn't an option to turn down any of these jobs or future requests for her time.

The second conversation was with a lady I was talking to about my recent weekend away with my hubby. She said that it was good that we spent time alone as a couple and weren't afraid to go away without our son. She said that her son has mentioned that the children come first for his wife and that it is like that for everyone he knows in his area. So many marriages end when the children leave home and the wife is left with a man she doesn't even know anymore and they find they have nothing in common. So sad and so easy to avoid!

Our priorities should be God, husband, children, home, then outside interests, family, church activities etc.

God is first. This doesn't mean that volunteering for everything at church is first. It is wonderful to help with church activities and outreach but our most important mission field as wives is in our own home. Putting God first means taking the time to come to Him in prayer, to read His Word, to draw close to Him and live our lives fully for Him.

Husband is second. He is important and so are his needs. We are to be helpmeets to our husbands. It is hard to help him if you are never there or too busy to spend time with him. Our children are blessings from the Lord and we should love them and support them and spend time with them but our husbands are to come first. Having a strong and loving marriage is one of the best things you can do for your child. Someday our children will grow up and leave home. Will you be ready to embark on the next season of your life with the man you love, your friend? Will you still know each other and be close or are you going to discover that you have neglected your hubby to the point that you don't have anything to talk about, that he has become a virtual stranger to you?

Children are next, they need us. They need a Mom who is there for them, listens to them and loves them. Not someone who repeatedly says not right now, I'm too busy. We need to ask ourselves are outside interests taking up all our time?

Home is our fourth priority. When we get so busy with everything else our homes are often the first place it shows. You can't possibly keep up with all that needs to be done in your own home if you are never there or if you spend all the time you should devote to it doing other things. As the lady I mentioned earlier said her home looks like a cyclone went through it. That creates a stressful environment, for everyone. I know when my home is getting out of control it causes me to be stressed about it. I get grumpy but once it is all clean and things are back in order I feel relaxed like a weight is off me. I know everything just runs so much smoother and everyone is happier when my home is well looked after.

Then finally comes outside interests. When everything else is looked after you can feel free to devote time to volunteer work, church activities, hobbies and anything else you would like to do as well as your extended family. I know someone who devoted so much time to her parents and helping them, visiting them etc. that her children started to feel neglected and she just didn't have the time to keep up her own home. Things started to fall apart there. By all means a close relationship with your parents or siblings etc. is a very important part of life but it can't come at the expense of your own home life.

I am posting this as a reminder to myself as well as to encourage ladies to keep their priorities in order so they will be blessed by how much smoother and peaceful life can be when they do.

Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: