Friday, May 16, 2008

Rhubarb


I meant to post about this a few days ago but this week has gotten away from me again! Just so much to do with the upcoming banquet at church but it has been a good week - just busy, busy, busy! ~smile~

I usually have a yard sale each summer and I bake several pies which I sell at it as well. My neighbour always buys a rhubarb pie and she was talking to my hubby the other day and asked him when we'd be having our yard sale so she could buy a pie. I had just been out to our friend's place to pick rhubarb so I made a pie for her as a gift and one for our family. Both were rhubarb but quite different! For my neighbour I made a regular rhubarb pie and for our family I made a Dyson Rhubarb Pie. I do not like rhubarb but I love this pie! The only other thing I like rhubarb in is rhubarb bars - so yummy. I thought I would share both these recipes since rhubarb is in season in our area!

Dyson Rhubarb Pie

1 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut fine.
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. flour
Dash salt
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. butter
1 unbaked pie shell

Mix rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, 2 tbsp. flour, salt and egg.
Pour into shell.
Mix brown sugar, 2 tbsp. flour and butter.
Sprinkle mixture on pie.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then at 350 for 30 minutes more.
Cool before cutting.


Rhubarb Bars

3 cups raw rhubarb cut up
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
Combine and cook until think, stirring frequently.

1 1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Mix together until crumbly. Pat 3/4 of mixture into ungreased 9x13 pan, spread rhubarb mixture over base.
Sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: