Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Frugal Friday - Knowing Where Your Money Goes


We are in the process of cutting our spending so I thought I'd share one of the things I did toward that end. The other morning I spent some time going through our bank statement from last month and writing down in categories where our money has gone. This has been a great help in stopping excess spending because I now know exactly where all our money goes. It was an eye opening experience because I also totaled those categories and got an accurate picture of just how much all the little things add up to over the month. Wow!

We will be using an all cash system from now on as well. Debit cards are convenient but a little too convenient and it is really easy to lose track of just how much you are spending.

For more Frugal Friday ideas please visit Biblical Womanhood.


Blessings,
Liisa

5 comments:

Tara said...

Good idea.. I hate knowing where our money goes... In fact I don't want to know what our statement says LOL So my husband takes care of it... but perhaps I need to get a little more involved. :) Thanks for the tip.

Liisa said...

Tara - I know the feeling! I didn't want to know either but I figured I better since I am in charge of the banking etc! LOL

Thanks for popping in and leaving a comment!

Blessings,
Liisa

Anonymous said...

I use our atm card for paying bills. I am able to pay online at times so this saves on stamps & envelopes.
I like using cash.

Liisa said...

That is a good way to save on postage. I sometimes pay ours in the bank and avoid the cost to send in payment. Every bit really does help!

Thanks for visiting and commenting!

Blessings,
Liisa

*carrie* said...

Liisa,

We started doing this last year after listening to Dave Ramsey. I love the challenge of having a monthly cash allotment. We save all our receipts and my husband tracks our spending in Quicken.