Friday, May 9, 2008

Frugal Friday - Foraging


This week for Frugal Friday I thought I'd tell you what my hubby and I were doing this past Saturday. We went picking wild leeks. What fun! Just strolling through the bush with my hubby was such a blessing. We had a great time and once we found our first patch of them they were quite easy to find. They are so yummy, all natural and best of all they are free! Wild leeks can be used in any recipe in place of onions or garlic and they are also very good pickled. To keep them for recipes you just blanch and freeze them. We will be going out again this weekend foraging for wild leeks - frugal, healthy and fun!

For more information you can visit these sites....

The Forager Press

Southern Food

North-Link


Blessings,
Liisa

7 comments:

Shari Ellen said...

It sounds like it was a fun outing, too. Wild berry season is exciting for me. When I was growing up, we would go wild black berry picking in the middle of the summer. I haven't been able to find any blackberries where we live now.

Dianna said...

How fun! My grandparents collect edible mushrooms. I would be scared to, though!

Liisa said...

Shari Ellen - I used to pick wild blueberries when I was a child but now that we live more south we have to go and pick at a farm. Still good but it just isn't the same!

Mrs. Mordecai - My hubby is hoping that we will be able to find some morel mushrooms tomorrow as well but apparently it is easy to tell them from other mushrooms - it still makes me nervous though!

Thank you both for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Blessings,
Liisa

Niki Jolene said...

sounds fun!


:)

Candace said...

That's great.
We have some wild blackberries on our property, so I feel lucky.

*carrie* said...

Liisa,

How adventurous!

Liisa said...

Sorry it took me so long to get to this ladies - it has been a crazy few days!

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment I really appreciate it! It brightens my day to see that people have left me a note!

Blessings,
Liisa