Friday, September 11, 2015

Life in Skirts

I was thinking about life in skirts after I heard someone ask an Amish lady what she wears under her skirts in the winter! I know, I was shocked too! That was quite a "bold" question!
 I only wear skirts and dresses - I have dressed this way for many years now. Actually it started being a full time thing when I read an article on Mom of Nine's site about modesty. In it she showed a picture of a woman with pants on and one with a woman in a skirt. She asked the reader to look at both pictures and see where your eyes went first. Even for me as a woman I was shocked at the difference. Try it for yourself!
After all these years I still get asked if I can do things in a skirt and my answer is always if I can't do it in a skirt then it is probably not something I should be doing anyway. ~smile~
Not really all that long ago women did everything in a skirt or a dress. Pioneer women lived and worked in the wild, built homes, farmed, cleared woods etc. etc. all while wearing a dress a lot heavier and longer than the ones I wear today.
I spend a lot of time in the woods, walking, exploring and foraging. I paint, garden, do all my housework and well... everything in a skirt and it does not hinder my mobility or ability to do things one bit.
Another question that comes up every summer is aren't you hot in that long skirt? The answer is no- I find skirts so much cooler than pants in the summer. Then every winter I get asked aren't you freezing in that skirt? Again no! ~smile~ I find skirts and pants are a lot like mittens and gloves. Mittens are warmer since your skin doesn't touch the cold fabric. Also you can easily layer under your skirt if it gets really cold.
And so life in a skirt is not a hardship contrary to what some may believe. ~smile~
Happy Friday!
Blessings,
Liisa
Picture available here

No comments: