Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Best Way to Clean an Oven


My mother in law is a little German lady who worked hard all her life and always had a spotless home. She taught me alot about house cleaning and I thought I would share the way she taught me to clean an oven.

The very first thing is to not let your oven get too dirty in the first place! If you are like me you just put off cleaning it as long as you possibly can, but if you keep after it and clean it often then the chore will be much less messy and will go quicker and easier.

When you do clean your oven be sure to lay out newspapers around the oven on the floor to guard against over spray, also remember to wear gloves. Take out the racks and spray down the oven well the night before with an oven cleaner (remember the door too). Place paper towels at the bottom of the oven door to prevent drips and close it.

In the morning wipe down the oven well using paper towels. Next fill an old container or a margarine tub (one you don't want to use for food or anything) with hot soapy water. Using an old rag wipe down the oven a few times to remove the cleaner residue.

Now spritz some paper towels with vinegar and wipe down the oven one last time to remove every last trace of soap and cleaner and you are done!

This seems like alot of extra steps but it eliminates the terrible smell and white streaks that can appear when you first turn on the oven after cleaning it. Your oven will be clean, fresh smelling and shiny...well worth the effort.

Now all this reminds me that I better get at cleaning my "black hole" of an oven!

Have a happy day!
Blessings,
Liisa

Picture from allposters.com

No comments: