Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Deer Hunting


Yesterday was the first day of deer hunting season so my hubby and son left at 6:15a.m. to meet up with the other men in their hunt club. It was a chilly day here so I decided to make them some stew in the crockpot for dinner that way it would be nice and hot whenever they arrived home. I know from last year that they usually come home frozen, often wet and utterly exhausted so a hot meal ready to go is just the thing ~smile~.

I am sure my stew recipe is on here somewhere but I just basically put some cubed beef (I like small chunks), diced carrots, celery, peppers and potatoes in the crockpot with 2 big cans of diced tomatoes, 2 cans of gingerale and 2 packets of onion soup mix and cook it all day. Sunday at church we were blessed with a rutabaga (there were several on a table with note saying "please help yourself to a rutabaga" so I did ~smile~) So this time I added that in diced fairly small as well...it was good and I think my son must have just thought it was potatoes because he ate it without any questions or complaints. He's 19 but he is still a picky eater when it comes to veggies!

Yesterday I also made some iced cookies, and chocolate pudding for dessert. I was glad because my men came home HUNGRY!

While I was in the kitchen I also decided to make some meatloaves to use as lunch meat. My guys love meatloaf sandwiches and so do I. On the weekend I bought 2 half pound packages of lunch meat from the deli at the supermarket and it cost me just about $10. I bought 2 pounds of ground beef and one pound of ground pork for about $7. It really does save a ton of money to cook meats at home for sandwiches. Just look at the price per pound for raw chicken, turkey, beef, ham etc. and then look at the cost per pound at the deli counter. Besides it is so much healthier to cook it yourself. So no more quick trips to the deli counter to save time for me!

Today my son had to go back to work but my hubby is out hunting. Tonight we are having the leftover stew since I can reheat it in the crockpot and easily keep it warm for whenever hubby arrives. I am also going to make some biscuits to go along with it and a chocolate cake for dessert (recipe post to come).

Have a wonderful day!
Blessings,
Liisa

Picture from www.allposters.com

No comments: