Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chocolate Cake

My aunt gave me this recipe when I was first married and I make it quite often. It is easy and inexpensive. I think some may call it a depression era cake, my aunt calls it a pan cake since you mix it in the pan.

Pan Cake - Barb Erb

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tbsp. cocoa
5 tbsp. melted margarine or butter
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup warm water

Mix dry ing. in a pan (8" or 9")
Make 3 holes or wells put butter in one, vinegar in one and vanilla in one.
Pour water over the top and mix well.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until it tests done.

Note - I always double the recipe and make a 9x13 cake.

Fudgy Cocoa Frosting

3 tbsp. melted butter or margarine
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups icing sugar (or more depending on what consistency you like)

Combine butter and cocoa.
Blend in milk, vanilla and icing sugar until smooth.
Will frost a 9x13 cake.

Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: