Friday, July 9, 2010

The Great Pretender

"Oh yes I'm the great pretender..." Perhaps you are familiar with this song. The words sung by The Platters resonate with me for I was once a great pretender.

For much of my early Christian life I struggled hard with temptations - falling often and making mistake after mistake. every day would find me begging for forgiveness. Thankfully God is faithful, loving and does forgive. During this time I often felt unworthy but I realize in looking back that this was a normal time of growth and finding my way along the path to Christian maturity. My time as the reigning Great Pretender did not come until much later.

Some people have looked at me and felt I was a "good Christian" and even told me so. I seemed on the surface to have it all together....faithful church attendance, volunteering and helping in every way I could, dressing the "right way" adhering to all the church rules and standards at least the superficial ones. I talked the talk and to all appearances walked the walk but deep inside, in my heart I was no longer walking with the Lord. It happened gradually - kind of snuck up on me but one day I realized my Christian life was just a show...a role I was playing. I still loved the Lord but I had somehow stepped away from the close loving and all consuming relationship with Him and yet I pretended everything was fine. I mean hey what else could I do - everyone thought I was a wonderful, mature Christian how could I let on that I was a fake? How could I admit something was terribly wrong? SO I stumbled along trying to make things right but only succeeding in putting on a bigger show...."Oh yes I'm the Great Pretender....."

One day though praise the Lord someone admitted to me that they were in the same situation I was. Wow! It was time for me to confess to the charade I had been living. Oh the freedom in finally being honest! It was through that admission that I was able to let go of all the false pretenses, get on my knees and pray form the heart. I realized that I had become more concerned with pleasing man than pleasing God. I had put people's opinions ahead of healing my relationship with God. What a fool to say the least. I am pleased to say that I am now closer than ever to my Saviour all pretenses are gone. That is why I writing this - I resign my role as the Great Pretender - I am not some perfect person who has it all together. I am just Liisa - who loves the Lord with all her heart and is still stumbling down this narrow path called Christianity.

If you have been pretending...if things are not right...take steps now to shake off the role as a great pretender. Get honest, be real.

There is absolutely no shame in speaking to your Pastor - it is the very best thing to do. He can help you get back and get real. The whole world need not know but seek help. How grateful I am to my friend who was brave enough to share their struggle with me and thereby help me out of the pit I had fallen into.

Get honest. Be real.

Blessings,
Liisa



Oh yes I’m the great pretender
Pretending I’m doing well
My need is such I pretend too much
I’m lonely but no one can tell

Oh yes I’m the great pretender
Adrift in a world of my own
I play the game but to my real shame
You’ve left me to dream all alone

Too real is this feeling of make believe
Too real when I feel what my heart can’t conceal

Yes I’m the great pretender
Just laughing and gay like a clown
I seem to be what I’m not you see
I’m wearing my heart like a crown
Pretending that you’re still around


Too real when I feel what my heart can’t conceal

Oh yes I’m the great pretender
Just laughing and gay like a clown
I seem to be what I’m not you see
I’m wearing my heart like a crown
Pretending that you’re
Pretending that you’re still around

No comments: