Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Works for me Wednesday


Today at Rocks in my Dryer Works for me Wednesday is the "What to Fix Edition".


What do you fix when you have no time and no way to get to the store and take out and sandwiches aren't an option.

Here is what I fix....

I usually have cooked chicken cut up and in the freezer for times when I need something quickly so I will make a chicken pot pie.


Chicken Pot Pie


Cooked chicken cut in small pieces (1 cup or so)
Can of cream of chicken soup (or you can use homemade white sauce)
2 cans of mixed vegetables
Mix together in a pie pan.

1 cup biscuit mix
1/2 cup milk
1 egg beaten
Mix together and pour over chicken mixture.

Bake in oven at 400 for 30 minutes.


If I don't have biscuit mix I will put the chicken mixture in a pie crust and bake until the crust is nicely done.


Failing chicken in the freezer I will make ground beef pie.


Ground Beef Pie

Crust for double crust pie
1 lb. ground beef
1 small diced onion
1 can of mushrooms
Beef gravy leftover in the freezer just enough to moisten or 1 can of beef or mushroom gravy .

Brown beef with onion and mushrooms. Drain. Add gravy and mix well.

Pour into shell, add top crust and bake until heated through and nicely browned - about 20-25 minutes at 300 degrees.
You can use mixed vegetables in place of mushrooms or leave them out all together.


If there is really a rush and I am way behind for the day I will make pork, beef or chicken fried rice. I freeze left over beef and pork cut up in small pieces as well for pot pies or fried rice etc.
Then I just heat oil in a large frying pan quickly fry an egg or two in the oil, toss in some chopped onion and green peppers (also chopped up and in the freezer) and then the meat, when that is done I will add some cooked rice and soya sauce fry it quickly and serve.


Another quick recipe is crustless quiche. You just put any veggies you like in a buttered pie plate
like onions, green peppers etc. Add in a can of ham. Whip up six eggs with milk as for scrambled eggs and pour over ingredients. Top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 until the eggs are set. You can also use chopped spinach and feta cheese and top with eggs and bake as above. My hubby' s favorite is jalpenos and bean sprouts with cheese on the top.

I almost always have spaghetti sauce frozen in the freezer that I make when the tomatoes are ready from our garden and since we buy a quarter of beef at a time I can always make spaghetti quickly as well.

My freezer saves me often!
Blessings,
Liisa








2 comments:

jennwa said...

I love 1 pot meals. Yummy!!

Liisa said...

Me too...so easy!
Thanks for your comment!
Blessings,
Liisa