Saturday, November 17, 2007

Stepford Wives


I must live under a rock. I say that alot and sometimes I am glad that I have no idea what is going on in the world, but I say that now because I never realized that Stepford Wives was a feminist book. I know, I know, like I said I must live under a rock. ~smile~

I have this book and the original movie and I always thought it was the complete opposite. I thought it showed the unhappiness that results in husbands when their wives neglect them and their home. I am not saying that what the men did was right in any way shape or form but I always thought about why they did it. What drove them to a place where the thought of this seemed like a good idea?

When you see what the women were like before you see why the husbands are so unhappy. After they are stepford wives you see what the husbands felt was lacking in their marriage.

I think that to spite the weirdness of it all there are lessons to be had here. What things would your husband like to see you do? Are you neglecting your home in favor of other activities? Are you neglecting him? Are there things he asks of you that you just don't do? Have you let yourself go?

I admit I am overweight and in the evening you will find me in comfy and not so attractive clothes but during the day I make the effort to dress well and have my hair and makeup done though I am at home most of the time. I am also trying to lose the weight...however chocolate is just so tasty! ~wink~

I make the effort to have the house clean and organized for my hubby but I have fallen short in this area lately with too much going on. So I need to get back on track there as well.
This falls under neglecting your home in favor of other activities. I have also resorted to convenience foods more and more often as I am busy and to be honest sometimes just lazy. I am commited to preparing meals and snacks myself and stocking up the freezer for those times when I just don't have the energy to make it.

I have also failed to always be there for my hubby and look after the things he asks me to. ~sigh~ It is hard to admit when you fail but I think it is important to be honest and therefore be accountable to get my act together.

Perhaps because I live under a rock I learned things from this story weird and creepy though it may be.

Blessings,
Liisa

No comments: